He wants to do the movie equivalent of a demo. A ‘Proof of Concept,’ if you will. Gonna actually get to Googling a copyright lawyer now. Once this starts getting out there, I want to make sure we have as much as control as possible over it. This is called ‘covering your legal ass.’ I don’t plan on suing anyone in the future, but any creator who does not properly care for their intellectual property will swiftly lose it.
I’m on the fence about doing a proof of concept, but I can’t see a reason not to. It’ll help us hear the script with fresh ears, and make sure it’s all coherent. I guess I gotta work in the music and sound effects up to a point, now. I think the Lilac rescue would be a good stopping point. It introduces a lot of the main characters, and has a climax and an ending. Normally, I’d be scared to release an unfinished product, but with the hidden village nearly done, and less than 15 scenes left to make (out of almost 80), I believe it to be the safest bet I’ve ever made.
I’m after the part where Cody reveals to Milia basically everything, and she seems ok with it. Now we enter the bonus dungeon and Milia is just now realizing that he wasn’t kidding around. Cody is basically Bill Murray in Groundhog Day and knows every riddle, puzzle, and treasure in the extra dungeon, and I’m making it so it’s subtly blowing her mind. I don’t know how far I wanna take that, though. It’s getting back into Evangelion territory but it’s looking and sounding so much better than the vague ideas I had when I started. In the end, though, Cody and Milia will realize they belong in different worlds; its how it has to be. I think one good breakdown is in order.
Also, I haven’t been able to brainstorm with Adam for months. He’ll augment the funny bits. We’ll need them, to keep the drama from overpowering the production. Maybe once we both find the time…
Caught the Anonymous Agony stream earlier today. It was basically the type of game everyone expected it to be. What was interesting, though, is how the team was totally on-board for creating the product Jake imagined. It was unapologetically, unabashedly, itself, and nothing else. Despite the bugs and obvious interface flaws, it accomplished everything it wanted to, and told the story it felt it had to tell. There was no irony, or subtle nods, or fourth-wall breaking (from what fraction I caught of the 8-hour stream). With the dedication the team put into the product, I would consider it the edgy, low-budget, B-Movie version of Lunar: The Silver Star.
There we go. All the maps I can imagine needing are done. Like in movies, it’s important to mentally establish what a scene should look like before you shoot it. With RPG Maker, I have the ability to have one set up long before the actors have to use it. There may be small changes later, but I feel like getting the broad strokes on mapping established will help make the final scenes as physical and engaging as possible (Like the Dragon Cave scene after Lilac is saved, as opposed to the first in-game scene with all the standing in place).
It’s true that every part of your game will be ‘done’ at roughly the same time, but this working on DtD has been a real help figuring out what tables need to be set first, and then later adjusting the plates and napkins. As a story-based game, I haven’t even touched on the combat system yet. Maybe one day, when the story’s done…
3 months and 16 days later, I’ve re-opened DtD. Did a bunch of mapping. Not much else, but everything I did was necessary. I guess I’d say 85-90% of the game’s maps are complete. Now the events gotta catch up.
There’s a scene I wanted to write of Beaumont and Danish being trapped in a blizzard, but couldn’t quite figure it out. Got the gist down now, which means Adam can punch it up properly. They’re HIS characters, damnit.
Met with my collaborator, who is still excited as hell to see this through. We both agreed that since we were past the halfway point, that it should be completed and seen through to the end. As the heavy lifter, I agree. Free time hopefully coming next week. Hopefully gonna make with the clickity-clack then. This week is poring over notes and double-checking for bullcrap
The HLA demo has been given some final tweaks and released into the wild as Castle Max. Its intent is to give newbies something to add to, and also to be an enjoyable romp on its own. I’ll upload it ASAP.
Work officially kicked my ass this year. I don’t know if I personally went in unprepared, or if i haven’t been exercising enough, or if my attempts to not take naps and listen to sad music during downtime had an effect. All I know is that it’s been a long summer and I’m tired. Progress on DtD, obviously, has ground to a halt. I’m am now behind schedule. I wish I could say ‘Well, I’ll just work on it twice as hard for the remaining months out of the year!’ but given my track record for complacency that might hardly be the case. We’ll see in about two weeks.
I really, really want to. But will I?
45 hours on DtD as of October
102 hours on DtD as of today (57 since Oct.)
46 hours on the Hour-Long Adventure since project conception
103 hours of RPG Making since last October.
Estimated completion time for DtD: 200 hrs
Estimated completion time for HLA: 95 hrs.
I’ve only been devoting 14.5 hours per month to RPG Maker, total. DtD needs exactly that much, if not more, to be complete by December. I am literally halfway through my deadline and things are looking tense. I’m definitely getting more done than a few months ago but ‘slightly faster’ is by no means ‘fast enough.’ I will get distracted again. I will need a break. Things will go wrong, and I need to get ready for that shit RIGHT NOW.